5.16.2018

BILBO TOOLBAGINS

Finally, he's getting to that tool bag post he's talked about...

Here it is. I finally decided to pull out my tool bags and take some pictures.
I have many tools, most located in my tool chest/drawers. However, I keep some of my tools in tool bags, ready to grab and go when and if the call is made. This all started with my time with Brethren Disaster Ministries, and has spiraled out of control.

The bags. I keep the Tool Box in my car, as it is my on the go auto repair box.

It all started with my tool belt, so we will start there.

I headed down to Lorida with just tool belt containing a hammer, and a cast paw. I picked up some tools down there, and added a pouch when I came back.

The belt will be replaced eventually, but it really suits me now.

The Hammer and Claw: Eastwing 16oz and Cast Paw

A general purpose hammer with a smooth face. I swung this hammer almost nonstop for 5 days from sun up to sun down. Never really fatigued me. The cats (cast) paw is invaluable for ripping nails out.

Tool Belt Accessories: Knife, Punch, Screw, and Tape

I added these when I picked up the pouch. It contains a basic screw driver with changeable bits, your standard Stanely 99e knife with extra blades (including roofing blades), finishing punches, and a tape measure I was given when I was down there.

Multipurpose Pliers: Linemans 369

Just a multipurpose pair of Lineman's pliers. I use them to pull nails and staples, snip wire and cords, and hold nails to hammer when I hit my thumb.



The Tool Bag: Cave of Wonders

This is where it starts to spiral out of control. I started buying these things as needed, for around the house, but always kept in mind the need for travel should I need too.

This guy is packed

The Power Tools: Milwaukee M12 Sawzall, Hammer Drill, Impact Driver, and Flashlight


Started with just the Impact driver and went on from there. I'm really impressed with the M12 line. the smaller sized tools are great for travel, and the power is just as good as the bigger M18's we use at work. The only reason I can see using the larger M18 would be for a portable 1/2 inch drive impact gun. The impact driver is a beast, and I have used it a ton.

Milwaukee Accessories

Just bits and pieces for the drill and driver. Those multi-step bits are the bomb. The drill bits dont do so well in the impact driver. Once the impact part kicks in, they chatter to much and stop drilling.

The Other Guys: Estwing 28 oz waffle, Ball Peen, and Wonder Bar, as well as a Nail Pouch, Files, and Air Shim.

The 28 ounce hammer has yet to be used, but was bought with the intention of framing and driving larger nails. The Ball Peen is for smaller trim work, as well as shaping and flattening tin when making roof patches. The wonder bar is for making those old shingles fly. Also used for shimming and adjusting. I picked up the nail pouch down in Lorida, and it was worn in conjunction with the basic tool belt.

The bar file is for reshaping the cast paw and hammer claws, as well as knocking down nail heads and other pokey bits of metal. The Rat Tail file has yet to find a purpose, but enlarging holes is probably what will happen. The Air Shim is awesome. Its a little air bladder that you can use to shim, adjust, and lift things. Comes in real handy when putting shelves on Ikea furniture.

Other Things: Wiss Aviation Shears and Torpedo Level


The first thing I bought when I got back from Lorida was the shears. We were installing metal roofing, and they would have really come in handy. I used some down there to make brackets out of scrap metal to rehang gutters as well as cut the metal roof pieces. The Torpedo level is just a level. I bought one with a magnet and pipe grove for setting fence posts. It also comes in handy with Ikea furniture.

Not pictured is my Ryobi laser level cube. I forgot to take a pic, but it's just a laser level. I use it for marking studs. Also not pictured is my Studdy Buddy. Its a hand held magnet that you use to locate studs in the wall.

Tape Measures

The Fat Max is and awesome tape measure, and the other is my cheater tape. It has the fractions written out on it.

THE SAW BAG: It's a bag with a circular saw in it.



Milwaukee M12 Circular Saw

All this bag has in it is the saw. It's a smaller saw, using a 5 3/8 inch blade, but it will cut a 2x4 in one pass. Very torquey, and the battery life is pretty decent with one of the larger M12 batteries.

The Plumbing Bag

There isn't too much in here. I am just starting to build it. I also use some of my work tools if I am around the house.

Slim Pickings: Just a pliers and a wrench

As of right now, this is it. A 14" Pipe Wrench and a set of Channel Locks. Again, when I am around the house, I use some of my work tools. I'll be ordering some offsets and speed wrenches here soon, as well as some other plumbing related things.



Well, there you have it. My tool bags. I hope to put them all in use soon, as the trip with BDM to Lorida was truly an amazing time. I would do it again in a heart beat.

I am going to make my tool box a separate post as it's not home related, more auto. It' will come soon enough.


Ok, enough is enough. This was a large post, and I am tired of typing.