2.20.2018

Captain's Log: The Fourth

Three Day Weekend

Hardly did 9anything Saturday, used it as a freebie. Watched the Daytona 500 Sunday (I have a casual relationship with NASCAR), and finished off the day with some Winter Olympics. I must say that with the new NASCAR season, and the Winter Olympics, this is the most "Fan-ing" I've done in awhile. I'm looking at you, Green Bay (maybe next season).

The race was fun, and I actually watched the whole thing. Trying to pick a driver to like right now. Before the race, I had narrowed it down to either Austin Dillon (because of his seaming embodiment of the "3" car and his willingness to "wear the black hat") or Bubba Wallace Jr (Because I like Petty, and I think he see's something in Wallace). I'm still on the fence, as Dillon won the race, and I don't wan't to jump on the band wagon yet.

As far as the Winter Olympics, I have always enjoyed it more than the summer games. Almost every winter game involves speed of some kind. My favorites are the Super G and Alpine skiing, Skeleton and Bobsleigh, as well as Ski Jumping. They just feel faster than the summer games.


ANYWAYS, on to Monday (Presidents Day)

Spent most the day working on the the Rabbit, on and off. Swapped out the intake manifold for a newer revised version. The newer manifold has shorter runner, and will in theory give me more top end. Even more so once I get the Rabbit tuned.
The Old Intake - Longer Runners

The "New" Intake - Shorter Runners

Spent some time cleaning the manifold, as well as the ports on the block. Not too much build up after 122k miles. Plenty of Chemtool and rags took care of the mess.


Installed new O rings on my cleaned injectors.

Crud. This was probably the worst of the five

Didn't get too into it. Just a finger and a rag.

The only snags I ran into were reaching the two bolts on the manifold hidden on the bottom and the rubber spacers between the manifold and it's front bracket.

The first issue didn't take me long to figure out, but it did take me a while to implement my strategy. There are four bolts on the bottom part of the flange that attaches the manifold to the cylinder head. Two of them are on the outside and easy to get to. The other two are hidden, and you have to use an extension to reach through these two holes in the manifold to get to them. The holes aren't big enough for a 3/8th drive socket, but the socket bit (a 6mm allen head) does not come in 1/4 drive.

ADAPTATION.

I took my suuuuper long 1/4 inch extension, a 7mm socket and the 6mm allen bit from a 1/2 inch drive and combined them into one super tool.

I had to sacrifice the 1/2 inch socket, but it will not be forgotten.
"It cant be tight if it's liquid"

Good night, sweet prince

After that, the 6mm bit didn't fit in a 6mm socket, so I had to use a 7mm. The fit was too lose, so I had to wedge something down in between the allen head and the socket. A piece of paper clip did the trick. My tool was made, and off came the manifold.
Long John Silver


After the above mentioned cleaning took place, I started back on reassembling. "New" injectors in, and double checking on my hose and wire connections.
Old versus "New"

This brought me to my next hiccup. These stupid rubber mount things. I dont recall the engine in the junk yard having them, but my car did. The mounts were captured on my manifold, and I couldn't swap them over to the new one.
Stupid

I ended up freeing them from the old intake by cutting the intake up, and them melting and crushing the ABS plastic in a vice. Then I couldn't get the brass insert off. I said forget it and went to Home Depot to make myself a mount.

After installing the manifold and loosely bolting it back in, it looked as if I didn't need them after all (nor would they have fit.) I ended up sticking a few rubber washer in between the mount and manifold for good measure, and called it a day. The Rabbit fired up without hesitation, and a little while later we went for a test drive.

Finished!


Impressions:

I've pretty much lost all my bottom end, or at least it feels that way. I knew that I would probably experience a little drop in low end torque, but the drop was noticeable. I guess 4 inch shorter runner would do that.

I do feel, or think I feel, a harder pull around 4000 to 5000 RPMs, but unfortunately, I currently top out at 5700, so I'm not sure if this surge continues. Hopefully the tune will sort this part out.

On the highway, It looks to be getting slightly (+ 2-4) MPGs. This could just be hopeful thinking (or weather), but next trip to Orlando will be the judge.




Well, that about wraps it up for this one. 
I'm sure there will be more work related stuff coming up this week, and I'll try to get in a non car related personal post here soon.

Ok. Thats it.