7.18.2018

THE NEW CAR (2017 Mazda3)

The actual model name is:

2017 Mazda Mazda3 S Touring 5-door Hatchback


Yes, The Model name is actually Mazda 3, so its a Mazda Mazda3
Well, here it is ladies and gentlemen. The 2017 Mazda 3. Bought Certified Pre-Owned with 8,423 miles. 2.5 inline 4 with a 6 speed manual. The story goes like this...

I hate buying cars. I never feel like I truly get what I want (I also have what I call Automotive ADD, so that doesn't help). This time I around I decided I would make myself a check list of the bare minimum things I HAD to have. They consisted of the following.

  • 2010+
  • Manual Transmission
  • 4 passenger doors
  • Hatchback
  • No turbo
  • FWD
  • Not a Ford
  • Under $20,000
  • Simple to work on
  • If all else fails, look for a Dodge Ram Quad Cab
Secondary check list, but not a necessity  
  • Volkswagen
  • Multilink/Independant Rear Suspension
  • Sporty to Sportyish aka "at least it looks sporty"
  • As new as possible
  • Decent gas mileage/4 cylinder
  • Some sort of pre-established fan base
  • Under $15,000
So many a night I set off on an internet journey looking for a vehicle. Many were found, but none felt quite right. I had been wanting a pickup for awhile, but every truck I found was either too expensive, or too worn out. So I crossed trucks off the list quick.

Next I wanted a Volkswagen (we've owned four, and I like them). I found a few manual MK6 TDI Golfs, that were actually quite affordable. I even found a manual B7 TDI Passat! (Thank you dieselgate). However, I had decided I did not want a turbo vehicle. While I personally have had no problem with the TDI I owned, or the Passat my wife has, a turbo is extra care and maintenance and an addition thing to eventually wear out down the road. I did not want this for my personal vehicle. With that decision, Volkswagen was out. Depressed, I searched on.

 

One day while driving home from work, a current model (3rd Gen) white Mazda3 Hatch pulled up next to me.

I like this.

The lines were clean. It was a hatchback. It was manual. I decided to look it up when I got home.
 



Patti and I had looked at Mazda 3 hatches before, and after some research, my list of requirements started to be filled. I ended up picking mine out of a narrowed down list of three. This was the one I wanted, and I am glad I got it.



The checklists
  • 2010+ - Indeed!
  • Manual Transmission - 6 forward gears!
  • 4 passenger doors - YES!
  • Hatchback - That's a big 10-4
  • No turbo - Slow!
  • FWD - Sure!
  • Not a Ford - Thank you!
  • Under $20,000 - Barely... but YES!
  • Simple to work on - I've already pulled half the car apart and put it back together!
  • If all else fails, look for a Dodge Ram Quad Cab - No dice this go around.
  • Volkswagen - Nope :( (VW where is your manual VR6 Passat Wagon!)
  • Multilink/Independant Rear Suspension - Check!
  • Sporty to Sportyish aka "at least it looks sporty" - SPORTY SPICE!
  • As new as possible - Made May of 2017!
  • Decent gas mileage/4 cylinder - Not sure, but already better than my Rabbit!
  • Some sort of pre-established fan base - No where near as big as VW, but their is one, and Mazda itself seems to be the biggest fan of itself. Also no Vapping.
  • Under $15,000 - Nope (although you can get close with a 2015ish 2.0)

The 3rd generation Mazda 3 comes with two engines, a 2.0 and a 2.5, both naturally aspirated, and backed by either a 6 speed manual or 6 speed automatic.

I originally was going for a 2.0, but decided to go with the bigger engine as I did not have much plans on adding more power down the road. The two engines are completely different according to Mazda, sharing no parts. The 2.0 is very rev happy (I believe it's the same engine that's in the current Miata), but the larger amount of torque in the 2.5 appealed to me more in the end though. Stock redline is the same for both engines.

What really got me is that the 3rd generation Mazda 3 is brand new, from the ground up. 100% new (not shared) engine, transmission, and chassis. They no longer share a platform with Ford/Volvo. Some early Gen 3 Mazda 3s are actually 100% built in Japan, although later Mazdas (like mine) are assembled in Mexico. To be fair, so was my Rabbit and our Passat was made in Tennessee.

Mazda's "Skyactiv" is more than a blanket term. It is comprised of many unique/interesting things.
You can read about it here: Mazda's Skyactiv

In short, this is part of it

  • Highest Compression Ratio of any massproduction car - 14.0:1 (US gets 13:1)
  • Factory 4-2-1 Exhaust Header/Manifold (it looks bizzare)
  • Increased Factory Caster Angle

If you have made it this far, thanks. Thats a lot of reading.

So here we are, one week in with the Mazda, and so far things are great. It rides very nice, and the suspension is very tight. Power wise, it is on par with the Rabbit, though I think the Rabbits 2.5 put down a little more grunt. I have yet to really put the car through it's paces. The chassis feels very solid, and it is extremely fun to drive. I do have a few plans for the car, but nothing to drastic.

At some point in the future, I'll go over the MY actual car in the future. The ins and outs, my likes and dislikes. For now, Ill leave you with this, and call it a day.