1.21.2016

Transportation

I drive things! Let's talk about it!


Being a water utility, we would obviously have a fleet of vehicles. These vehicles range from basic pickups, to dump trucks and medium duty vehicles. Every field worker here, except for the Construction crew, has a "take home" vehicle. It's a great privilege.

In my time here I have driven many vehicles. If my memory serves me right they are as follows.

  • 1990 Ford F150 - 5.0
  • 1998 Chevy 1500 - 4.3 V6
  • 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Long Bed W/T - 360 (My favorite truck so far)
  • 1996 Ford F250 W/T - 351W
  • 2004 Chevy 2500 W/T - 6.0
  • 2006 Chevy 2500 W/T - Duramax
  • 2012 Ford F250 - 6.2 Gas (My first new truck)
  • 2008 Chevy 3500 W/T - Duramax
  • 2003 Ford F350 - PowerChoke
  • 2008 Chevy 2500 Long Bed - Duramax (2nd favorite)
  • 2015 GMC 2500 W/T - Duramax (2nd new truck, Current)
There have been a few others, such as spares and heavier equipment, but those above were my main take home trucks.

That brings me to this guy.  His name is Ned.

My truck is currently in the shop to have its oil changed, so I have been blessed with Ned, a 2007 F150 with a 5.4 V8. Ned is tired. Ned has 143,000 hard miles on him. Ned needs to be retired.

I have have spent some time now, getting to know Ned. Ned smells of gas at a stop, he has no heater or AC, and the blower sounds like it is about to fly out of the dash. Ned has questionable steering, that likes to lock up while you turn it. Seriously, if you make a U-turn, you can take your hands off the wheel you can drive in circles all day.

Ned also has no suspension. This makes running over anything higher than a road reflector at any speed higher than 10 MPH a real joy. This truck also wobbles like a fish out of water if you give the steering wheel any forceful input.

Ned also needs a tune up. Plugs, Filters, the works. Ned won't get these things, Need is on his way out.


Soon my truck will have had its oil changed, and will be ready to be picked up. At some point, I'll go get it, and I'll have to say goodbye to Ned.

Well, that's about it for this post. At some point in time, I'll do a full review of my current truck, it's ends and outs and everything in between.

Until next time!